Effective Video Conferencing during the COVID19 Pandemic
No one expected the aggressive and relentless COVID 19 pandemic. Many workers have stopped going to work at physical sites and are working work at home. In this circumstance, video conference platforms come in handy for work-from-home workers to communicate with their and colleagues. For effective video conferencing from home, here are some tips to follow:
• Pick a location with a simple background with natural light and prepare your space. Avoid the up-your-nose shot.
• Optimise your home network by checking your modem and router, move your wireless to the right location, and update your plan.
• Give yourself plenty of time to install and configure all the required apps, tools, and/or plug-ins, test your mic and webcam, and arrange a test call with a friend to ensure everything is in working order.
• Mind your manners. Learn how to mute and unmute your mic and when to switch on and switch off your camera. Check the video and audio quality. Make eye contact with the camera when you speak.
• Follow standard meeting best practices like punctuality, respecting start and end timings, addressing people by their name, sharing an agenda in advance, and following up with summaries and action items. Put your sense of humour to good use.
These practices will ensure that the video conference runs smoothly and successfully; and you should apply them before and during a video conference.